결혼이야기

이웅진

결혼정보회사 선우 대표

• 현) 웨딩TV 대표이사
  • 전) 우송 정보 대학 웨딩이벤트학과 겸임교수
phone_android 213-435-1113
sunoola

[글로벌 한국계 사랑이야기] 미국생활 22년, 결국 불법체류자로 사는 남성을 만나고 보니..

글쓴이: sunwoo  |  등록일: 10.19.2017 20:10:03  |  조회수: 5849

미국에서 한 어머니로부터 전화를 받았다.

힘이 실린  목소리가 상당히 인상적이었는데, 일흔이 넘으셨다고 했다. 

목소리만으로도 인생을 통달한 듯한 노련한 느낌을 받았다. 
미국 모처에서 식당을 운영하신다는 그분은 
독일파견 간호사였고, 
이후에 미국으로 건너오셨다. 

자녀 셋을 두었는데, 

큰 아들의 결혼 문제로 상담전화를 한 것이다.

그분의 아들은 미국 명문대를 졸업한
유명한 글로벌 기업에 근무하다가 그만두고
지금은 어머니 식당일을 돕고 있었다.

어머니의 설명으로는
H1 비자를 받았다가 지금은 불법체류 신분이라는 것이다.

미국 비자 체계가 어떤지는 모르겠지만,
좋은 대학을 나와서 좋은 직장에 다녔던 전도유망한 젊은이가
불법체류자가 되었는지 이해가 되지 않았다.

“우리 아들 앞으로 집도 마련해놨어요.
참 성실하고 착한 아이인데...”

어머니의 목소리에는
아들에 대한 애잔한 마음이 담겨있었다.

그리고서 한가지 제안을 했다.

“사장님 미국에 오셔서 바쁘시겠지만,
우리 식당에 한번 오셔서 직접 아들애 보시고 소개할 수 있는지
판단해주시면 안될까요?”

손님인 것처럼
식사하고 계산하면 나중에 돈을 돌려주겠다는 것이다.

한국에서 태어나
독일에서 젊은 시절을 불살랐고,
미국에서 노년을 보내는 분은
산전수전 겪으면서 적극적이고 당당하게 인생을 사셨지만,
자식을 놓고서는 그저 평범한 어머니일 수밖에 없었다.

일단 어머니와
아들을 한번 만나봐야겠다는
생각이 들었다.

주말에 시간을 내서
미국에 근무하는 매니저 2명과 함께
어머니의 식당에 갔다.

내가 눈인사를 하자,
어머니는 ‘진짜 왔네!’하는 놀라는 표정이었다.

여느 손님처럼
자연스럽게 음식을 주문하자
아들이 일하는 모습을 보라는
자리를 피해주었다.

아들은 건강하고
평범한 모습이었다.

하지만 언뜻언뜻
보이는 표정은 그리 밝지만은 않았다.

아들의
학력, 가정환경, 스타일 등을 보면
한국에서 태어났으면 결혼상대로 손색이 없는 사람이었다.

하지만 그의 현실은
22 미국생활로 거의 미국사람이 되었는데도
불법체류자라는 것이다.

28불에 2불을
팁통에  계산하고 식당을 나왔다.
뒤따라나온 어머니가 돈을 돌려주려고 했지만,
받지 않았다.

그리고 며칠이 흘렀다.

아들의 상황은 힘들다.
그렇다고 한국에 온다고 해서 있는 일도 없다.
어떻게든 미국에 있어야 하는 상황인 것이다.

그렇다면 그의 최선은 무엇일까?
나는 아직 생각 중이다.
결론을 쉽게 내릴 없는 만남이었다.

웅진 올림

22 year stay in the States and an illegal alien

The phone rang, and I responded, hello! A woman over 70 years old called me, and the voice was impressive. I could tell that this woman had taken the brunt of life by herself. She told me that she is currently managing a restaurant in the States, and that she was a Korean nurse employed in West Germany. 

She has 3 children, and called me to get counsel about the marriage of her eldest son. Her son graduated from a well-known university, and worked in a global enterprise. He is, however, now helping his mother in the restaurant. She told me that her son got H1 visa times ago, and now he is in an illegal status. I do not know how the American visa is granted exactly. I could not understand, however, why such a man with a college degree and professional career should be in illegal status.

She said, ” I have already bought a home for him. He is such a good man.” Her voice has kind of melancholic tone. She proposed a plan to me. She said,” Would you, sir, come to my restaurant to see my son, and tell me if you could arrange a marriage?” She promised me that she would return the expense afterwards if I could simply pretend to be one of the daily customers in that restaurant.

She was born in Korea, spent her youth as a nurse in Germany, and is now an old woman in the States. She spent her youth positively by taking the brunt of life, but could be only a “mother” in front of her son’s destiny.

I decided to meet that man once. I have been to the restaurant with 2 couple managers in a weekend. When I entered saying “hello,” the mother was surprised, and murmured, “You’ve really come.” As I ordered food, she disappeared intentionally to let us see her son working. The son looked healthy and normal. He looked, however, somewhat blue. If the son were in Korea, I think he would be a good husband with that kind of educational background and family. He is, however, an illegal alien even though he is all Americanized in the past 22 years.

I came out of the restaurant after paying $30.- dollars. The mother followed us right afterward and tried to reimburse but I did not get the money back.

And couple of days passed.

The son has hard time now. He has nothing to do even though he returns to Korea.
He is supposed to stay in the States. What’s best for him?

I am pondering over it. It was a meeting of difficult decision-making.

♥선우공식블로그
http://blog.naver.com/sunoo1111

♥커플닷넷
http://www.couple.net

♥페이스북
https://www.facebook.com/sunoo1111

♥인스타그램
https://www.instagram.com/sunoo.weddingTV

DISCLAIMERS: 이 글은 각 칼럼니스트가 직접 작성한 글로 내용에 대한 모든 책임은 작성자에게 있으며, 이 내용을 본 후 결정한 판단에 대한 책임은 게시물을 본 이용자 본인에게 있습니다. 라디오코리아는 이 글에 대한 내용을 보증하지 않으며, 이 정보를 사용하여 발생하는 결과에 대하여 어떠한 책임도 지지 않습니다. 라디오코리아의 모든 게시물에 대해 게시자 동의없이 게시물의 전부 또는 일부를 수정 · 복제 · 배포 · 전송 등의 행위는 게시자의 권리를 침해하는 것으로 원칙적으로 금합니다. 이를 무시하고 무단으로 수정 · 복제 · 배포 · 전송하는 경우 저작재산권 침해의 이유로 법적조치를 통해 민, 형사상의 책임을 물을 수 있습니다. This column is written by the columnist, and the author is responsible for all its contents. The user is responsible for the judgment made after viewing the contents. Radio Korea does not endorse the contents of this article and assumes no responsibility for the consequences of using this information. In principle, all posts in Radio Korea are prohibited from modifying, copying, distributing, and transmitting all or part of the posts without the consent of the publisher. Any modification, duplication, distribution, or transmission without prior permission can subject you to civil and criminal liability.
전체: 1,100 건